Friday, May 7, 2010

nicaragua: my two cents







stuff i noticed:
  • very green
  • roads are in much better condition than costa rica
  • granada reminds me of spain - it's full of bright colors, old churches and plazas
  • you can stay in a hotel here on the cheap, drink and eat on the cheap too
  • the beggars and vendors are off the hook...in the time it took me to eat two pizza slices and drink two beers i said "no gracias" to 12 vendors selling cigarettes, chocolates, hammocks (like am i really gonna buy a hammock at 9pm??)
  • there are a lot less bugs, no bites in two days
  • i feel like a tourist, i actually tok a lot of pictures
  • people seem really into US culture, i wrote this listening to YMCA blasted through the plaza

my favorite things:
  • riding the local bus half the way there, only gringo in sight
  • using my spanish a LOT
  • swimming in lake nicaragua
  • buying my melon juice at the market for like $10 cents
  • being here, never did i ever imagine i'd be here - i found myself saying "dude, i'm in nicaragua" atleast 5 times a day
  • making friends with some great nicaraguans who took me out, dancing and to the best bar i've been to in central america (chonchi's = find it!)
  • surprising myself mostly by just going with the flow and finding my way (which would not have been possible a year ago or prob even 2 months ago)

No comments:

Post a Comment